Friday, March 2, 2012

Let's talk sour....

Sour cream that is.
The addition of sour cream in any of my baked goodies is something I have never tried before today.
Probably the word "sour" scares me off, let alone add it in my ingredients.

So before I proceeded trying out this recipe I stumbled upon, I read a bit about sour cream.
For me, its enough to know that it is a product of fermenting regular cream with lactic acid bacteria - parang Yakult lang.=)

I'm getting into my cookie baking phase.
If you love chocolate chip cookies, you will love sour cream chocolate cookies even more.
These are darn good.=)

Nice, soft, and moist and with a little bit of tang ( which I like ).


The recipe calls for only a few ingredients.
But these I think made all the difference : Sour cream of course, Vanilla extract ( The Vanilla Company works well for me ) and pecans.


And the usual  :   butter, sugar, egg, and all purpose flour.


I'll let you in on a few observations I noted in making them.

First, I found them a bit cake-y ( maybe because of the sour cream ) and not really cookie-y.
I wonder if it would turn out great too baked in a muffin tin? 


Next, unlike the dough of cookies I made way back, this one has a paste-like dough which is kinda hard to work with.
But hey, where's the fun in baking if you can't lick the spoon right?=)
Uh huh, I tasted the dough and I must admit the texture and flavor was appealing to me.

CAVEAT.  These are not cookies you could eat right away!
Don't be like me grabbing a piece right after it came out of the oven.
They need to set for a few minutes otherwise you will end up with bits and pieces like what happened to the first batch I made.
It does'nt matter how good the cookies look coming out of the oven if you can't get them out of the baking sheet.
Next to KitchenAid, I think I better get myself a Silpat non-stick baking mat.



It's supposed to look chubby and rounded but mine came out thin.
But what the heck.

This is not your average chocolate cookie!


Grab a big glass of milk or in my case I want it with tea.

Try making some, you will never know just how good a chocolate cookie can be.
Let me know how yours turned out.

And since I had such a success with this, I am now on the look out for new ways to use sour cream.


SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Yield    :  20 cookies ( Mine were not of consistent sizes )

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts ( optional )

This is how I made it   :

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
Add in egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
Pour in sour cream and mix until incorporated.
In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture.
Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.

Scoop batter to parchment paper lined baking tray. Space at least 2 inches apart.
Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the sides brown a little.
Let cool on rack.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...